Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Atoning death of Christ, limited or not?

The following statement is in part from a church website, of whom I am becoming acquainted with the Pastor. I will not name him out of respect for my new friend and brother in Christ. I love his zeal for the lost. I love his passion in many other areas concerning the many facets of Christian living, least of all his total undying love for the gospel. Having said that, we have been talking about the differences in our views on some doctrinal matters, and while I do view this as serious in nature to the believers maturity, I do not stoop to say he is not a “brother” in the faith. I have seen a post even recently that labels him (not personally but as a group of people of similar theology) as unsaved or not included in the family of God. I strongly disagree with this. The regeneration in his heart can only be a work of our Lord. 


What is about to follow is a partial statement of which the last sentence I think is of particular importance. And as such I’ve supplied a complementary statement from the opposing viewpoint. The first view is as follows; (on the Atonement for sins by Christ as he suffered and died):


 “We deny that this atonement results in salvation without a person’s free response of repentance and faith. We deny that God imposes or withholds this atonement without respect to an act of the person’s free will. We deny that Christ died only for the sins of those who will be saved.”


As I have been in deep thoughtful on his subject recently, I stumbled across this and felt this was an amazing summary of the opposing view. 


Here’s an excerpt from the closing thoughts by a sermon written and preached by John MacArthur titled “For whom did Christ Die?”—October 19th, 2008 @ Grace Community Church


“One writer says this, “‘An opposing view tells us that Jesus died for multitudes that will never be saved, including millions who never so much as heard of Him. It tells us in the case of those who are lost, the death of Jesus represented in Scripture is an act whereby He took upon Himself the punishment that should have been ours was ineffective. Christ suffered once for their sins but they will now have to suffer for the same sins forever in hell.’”


 This idea of the atonement has the initial appearance of being very generous, but the more closely we look at it, the less we are impressed. Does it guarantee the salvation of anybody? No. Does it guarantee that those for whom Christ died will have an opportunity to hear of Him and respond to Him? No. Does it in any way remove or even lessen the sufferings of the lost? No. In reality this view of the atonement doesn't atone, merely clears the way for God to accept those who are able to life themselves by their own strength.


So in summary, as we think about this, the death of Christ was a real true actual satisfaction of divine justice so that the sinner for whom Christ died is really, not potentially, provided an atonement into which that sinner will enter by the sovereign power of God at the moment when God regenerates that sinner and gives him faith. Not apart from the sinner's will, but in accord with the sinner's will, activated by the power of God. The death of Christ then was definite, particular, specific and actual on behalf of God's chosen people. It was limited in its extent by the sovereign purpose of God. It was not limited in effect. It was the work of God and Christ to actually accomplish redemption, not just make it possible. Christ procured salvation for all that God would call and save. Sinners do not limit the atonement as to its extent, God does. And God put no limit on it as to its effect. It fully saves all who will believe. Jesus actually took the penalty and paid in full for the sins of those who believe. This is why there is no condemnation. This is why we persevere in faith. This is why you can't lose that salvation because it was paid for in full.

All these great doctrines of grace tie together perfectly and biblically.”—JMac


There is so much that can be said on this, though if you personally take issue with John’s words in the excerpt of this sermon, I invite you to read or YouTube this sermon and watch it in full. It really is rich in it totality and answers so much more than can be grasped in this handful of paragraphs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment